75100385

I am the free holder on a house which was divided into 2 flats

I am the free holder on a house which was divided into 2 flats (one up one down)
I rent out the first floor and my landlord insurance is only for my floor. The person downstairs refuses to give me a copy of her insurance. (I am not even sure she has one)
As the freeholder I will need insurance for the whole property?
Kind Regards
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Just to be clear - you as freeholder must have insurance for the whole building.The tenant can't have building insurance, only contents - the Landlord MUST have buildings.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not referring to my tenant in my first floor flat. I'm referring to the lease holder on the ground floor flat on the building (which is a house). Do I still need to get Buildings insurance for the whole building or is the lease holder responsible for her property and me mine even though I am the freeholder?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes.You must have buildings insurance, no one else can get that apart from FreeholderDoes that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I get landlords building insurance for both flats even though I don't own downstairs flat?
If I lived upstairs and didn't rent it out then would I get normal buildings insurance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh I can I charge her half the cost?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You will ONLY get Buildings insurance which covers the whole property. She, as a leasholder can't get buildings insurance. She doenst own the property, you are the freeholderSo yes you can charge half.Does that help?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes thank you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Good luckAlexIf this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/