Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have sacked my letting agent. I still have the tenants

Hi. I have sacked my letting agent. I still have the tenants who have been there all over a year. Do I have to do a new tenancy agreement with them?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
What does your contract say on this point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im the landlord. Do i have to do a new contract for my tenanys. I have sacked my managing agents.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sacked my agents 1 month ago.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So what does your contract say on this point?Renewals in particular.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im the landlord / owner. But i had a Agent managing my rental properties. Do i have to adjust the tenancy / contract now that im managing my houses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no contract the tenants have a tenancy agreement which the letting agent did. Can i leave it or do i do new contracts with me on it instead of old managing Agent
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but you will have a contract with the letting agents.What does it say about renewals?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no contract with old agents. I never signed anything.
Oviously the tenancy for my tenants is ongoing / rolling. Can i do another contract. Or do I have to with my tenants or can i just leave it be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you help as so far im no wiser after paying £27 for help.
thank you.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
It depends what you want to achieve.You can just leave the tenants there. They will be on a periodic tenancy agreement. That has the advantage of being easier to end but the disadvantage of allowing the tenants to end it if they want to.If you prefer security then you can ask them to sign a fresh AST.The letting agents though may have a claim upon renewals if they introduced the original tenant to you. You need to check your agreement with them.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I have no agreement signed with old letting Agent so assume i can just do new asts. Free.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
You will still have a contract with the letting agents. Just because there isn't signed evidence doesn't mean a contract doesn't exist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The agent did say to me that i would have to do new contracts. She posted old ones back to me and crossed them all void over them.
Shall i just do new ast for my tenants.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
I would do a new AST. They provide you with more security apart from anything else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all your answers. Im happier now.