75100385

I did a massive renovation on a house and it went badly from

Customer Question

I did a massive renovation on a house and it went badly from the start. Mid-project, I fired my architect/contract administrator and hired a new contract administrator to take over. The builder was taking so long that we finally terminated the contract with the builder, took back the house, and began a big legal battle with the builder. At that point, my contract administrator abandoned me, likely because he was afraid that we were going to go after him. We finally came to a settlement with the builder, and now, 7 months later, my contract administrator has sent me a bill. In my opinion, he failed to complete several tasks on his original scope of works, and I have no intention of paying him that final amount. My question is: what is the next step for me, i.e., what is the proper procedure for my not paying? Do I need to send him something like pay less notice?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Was there a contract written? How much is owing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When is a good time to chat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was/is a proposal, which I accepted and signed.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
how much is owing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
£3510.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes, he is in breach of contract. Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, the person must act with all reasonable skill and care.Therefore if the person didnt do what they were contracted to do then no, you dont need to pay.Therefore you can refuse to pay - all they can do is take you to a small claims Court.As such, the ball is in your Court you dont need to payCan I clarify anything for you about this today?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to send him formal notification that I'm not going to pay? What does it need to say? We don't have a formal contract that tells me all of this, only a scope of works that I signed and accepted.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You just need to write and say because of X,y,z he is in breach of contract and as such you are not paying.He didn't do what was agreed.