Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have a leasehold flat with 1/4 share of freehold .my lease

Customer Question

i have a leasehold flat with 1/4 share of freehold .my lease is low ,can my daughter inherit the flat, on my death, as she has the funds to extend the lease hold
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
HiThanks for your enquiry.Is there any reason why you have concerns that your Daughter can't inherit the property from you? Is the Flat and the share in the Freehold in your sole name?I look forward to hearing from you.Al
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it is , i do not wish to have an account with this company , i was under the impression this was a one off question, i simply cant afford £34 per month for nothing patricia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i need an answer to my question that has cost £25 this is not an easy way to obtain results ...
Hi Patricia,Please be rest assured that if you do not wish to have a monthly account, you do not have to. After I have finished hopefully answering your question to your satisfaction, I will email customer services and explain that you do not wish to subscribe on a monthly basis.Turning to your question, there is no reason why your Daughter can not inherit your Flat and your share of the Freehold.You should of course make a Will and leave the property to your Daughter.Under law, if someone inherits a Leasehold property, they are then entitled to a Lease extension provided the owner (ie you) had owned the Flat for at least 2 years. Therefore, if anything were to happen to you, your Daughter would be entitled to obtain for a Lease extension straight away (provided you had owned the Flat for 2 years at the date of your death).I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.Is there anything else you would like clarifying?Kind RegardsAl