Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I jointly own a property with my ex partner, it is my main

Customer Question

i jointly own a property with my ex partner, it is my main residence and he has not lived there for over a year.
He now wants to buy his own main residence but as he still part owns the house I live in, will he be liable for the additional 3% stamp duty on the purchase of his new main residence?
If he is liable, is there any alternative solution where the additional tax would not be applicable?
many thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Under new tax rules in April 2016, as he already has a legal interest in your home, he would be liable for the new stamp duty rate if purchases the new property in or after April 2016, he will be liable for the 3% stamp duty rate. The only way that he can avoid paying the higher stamp duty rate is if his name is ***** ***** on the title of the jointly owned property.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating. Thank you