Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My parents have inherited my brothers property when

Customer Question

My parents have inherited my brothers property when he passed away 5 years ago. The property has a charge on it which is causing us a problem in terms of selling it. The charge is from Post Office Counters Ltd.
I have written a couple of times to the Post Office regarding this but have never received a response.
The charge was put on back in 1994, nearly 30 years ago, the last letter my brother received from them was in February 2002, since then no communication has been received.
I would like to have the charge removed so we can sell the property but I'm not sure what I can do with this charge on the property.
Many thanks,
P. Patel
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstDid you write to the address given on the Land Registry?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clair,Thanks for responding, the office no longer existed so I wrote to Royal Mail.I actually managed to get through to the legal department of Royal Mail yesterday and managed to speak to their head of para legal. He has asked me to send all relevant documents to him and he will find the rite person that needs to deal with it.Thanks,Prakash.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What was the debt for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,The debt was for repayment of monies stolen, the amount owed was 89k.The charge has been on the property since 1996 and the last contact was made from Consignia back in 2002. Since then there has been no communication.Any advice appreciated.Thanks,Prakash.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Are you dealing with Royal Mail - or with the Post Office?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We will be dealing with Post Office Counters Ltd...
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You have mentioned speaking to Royal Mail - have you phoned Post Office Counters at all?