Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I want to buy a piece of land. It is around one acre and has

Customer Question

I want to buy a piece of land. It is around one acre and has an uplift clause which was put in place by the previous owner, not the one I'm buying from. I haven't seen the legal document as they can't find it.
I have spoken to the previous owner and she said 'it is negotiable' based on planning permission being granted to build a house on the land.
I feel this is very vague.
What should I do?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi,To enable the previous owner to enforce any agreement if you were to obtain planning permission for development purposes, this must have been signed by her and the current owner, as well as registering an entry on the Land Registry Deeds.Indeed, it may well be that the Land Registry hold a copy of the agreement. Not sure how far along the process you have gone, but I would therefore hope that the Seller's Solicitor would be able to obtain a copy of the agreement and provide one to you/your Solicitor.If no copy of the agreement can be found (which would be very unusual), you would need to tread very carefully and you should insist on the previous owner clarifying the terms of it.However, as I have said, I am sure the Solicitor will be able to locate the Agreement!I hope this assists.Kind RegardsAl
Hi Jane,Can I assist you any further?Kind RegardsAl