Alice H, Solicitor
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 20+ years legal experience
30932268

If I buy a property and I find a problem that the owners did

If I buy a property and I find a problem that the owners did not tell me about do I have any recourse
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Good evening. My name is ***** ***** I am a lawyer based in London. Could you explain in a little more detail what the sellers did not tell you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When we purchased a holiday home we was not told that a scrambling track was in the next field which is used on Saturday and Sunday
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to sign up for the answer
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
The existence of a scrambling track is not a standard question raised in the sellers questionnaire; unless you or your solicitor asked a question about the existence of the track, it is not something that the seller is necessarily obliged to disclose.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Did you or your solicitor ask any questions or make any searches about the track? When did the sale take place?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No because stupidly he told us we did not need a solicitor when we really should have got one
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Who did your conveyancing? Did the seller complete a questionnaire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just told us we did not need a solicitor as it was a cash sale no questionnaire was filled out
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Where the seller makes a misrepresentation or misleads you about the property you can sue for damages for breach of contract. You could look to make a claim and you could argue that you were not properly informed of the the track etc but the counter argument is, of course, that you failed to make any enquiries.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't really matter this was a cash sale - the point is that if you believe the seller has misled you, you could sue for damages for breach of contract based on misrepresentation.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Can I assist any further? Please remember to rate my answer so that I am paid for my time. Many thanks. Alice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.