LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

I have 3 fence panels (5ft tall) that have fallen down in my

Customer Question

I have 3 fence panels (5ft tall) that have fallen down in my back garden to the left of my property.I have had to remove them and dispose of them. I had the fence panels erected 2 years ago. Prior to this was 3 ft chicken wire type fencing.
My neighbour now wants me to replace them. I don't have the funds right now. Do I legally have to replace them? Am I obligated too?
There seems to be conflicting views on this matter.....
Please help, I'm feeling very intimidated and they are threatening to get their solicitor involved if I don't put up a fence.
Kelly
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you. The answer to this will depend on a few things. Are you the owner of the property? If so I assume this is the fence that is your obligation to maintain. Are you able to access the conveyancing documents from when you purchased, in particular the report on property from your solicitor. If so you should check to see if there is any particular requirement placed on you as to the nature of fencing you must maintain, I suspect not bearing in mind the former fencing. If there is no particular restriction then you can put up whatever kind of fencing you like.