Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

My husband has recently died. We were joint owners of our property.

My husband has recently died. We were joint owners of our property. I have had his name taken off the Land Registry record, but do I also need to update the Title Deeds? I am not intending to move from the property.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I am sorry for your loss.Did you write to Land Registry with a copy of the Death Certificate?Did they remove his name from the Land Registry title register so that only your name is ***** *****>Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, and I have now received the amended document.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.Great. No, you do not need to do anything further.This is because the electronically held title register at the land registry (which you have received a copy of) is effectively what people used to call “deeds”.Once a property is registered at land registry, the title register replaces the old “deeds”. The old deeds are no longer relevant because the title register is all you need to prove ownership of your property. As with all registered property the old deeds would have been destroyed after land registry took the relevant information from them and noted it on the land registry title.Provided your name is ***** ***** one listed on the land registry title and your late husband’s name has been removed then you do not need to do anything further. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom