Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have inherited a property form my mother who has past away,

Customer Question

I have inherited a property form my mother who has past away, I have a lease in her name, the freeholder changed before my mother passed but the lease has not got the new freeholders details on it is still the old freeholders name and address from 1987. Is this still a legally binding lease? Also How do I go about changing it so it has my name and the current freeholders?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thanks for your enquiry.Please be rest assured all is Ok- the original Lease can not be amended to show either your name or the new Freeholder's name, and nor does it have to be, to remain legal. Your Mother, and now you, have the security of the terms of the Lease from when it was granted, and it automatically binds the new Freeholder.All you will need to do is to serve Notice on the new Freeholder to confirm that you are the new Leaseholder, and he can then update his records so that any future ground rent demands are addressed to you (if you are indeed keeping the property as opposed to selling it).I hope this assists and sets out the legal position to you.Kind RegardsAl
Hi,Can I assist you any further?Kind RegardsAl
Hi,Please let me know if I can be of any more assistance to you.Kind RegardsAl