Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
12609314

I BOUGHT A NEW BUILD IN 1966. I have a long garden and a ditch.

i BOUGHT A NEW BUILD IN 1966. I have a long garden and a ditch. I built a shed at the bottom and could walk around it as it had a concrete path both sides. Over the years the concrete path and the side of the shed was being used by a neighbour backing onto me who has also filled in the ditch at the end. He has moved 2 months ago and the new neighbour has attempted to put up a fence fixing it to the side of my shed and continuing it along art the bottom of mine and the next door neighbours end of their garden. My gardener noticed and removed it (after getting advice from the Police). THE NEW Neighbour then threatened my gardener and Police were called. They have advised us to speak today at 11am to try and resolve it. I am wanting to do this as I am approaching 90 years and feel threatened by most of my neightbours since a tree dispute a couple of years ago. What should I say at the meeting. It seems to me very unfair as I know what land belongs to who after 50 years. I never used to have this trouble?
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.
The matter can be resolved by obtaining copies of the title deeds and maps to both properties from the Land Registry. A surveyor or valuer/senior estate agent should be able to ascertain where the boundary is from both sets of deeds by scaling up the maps.You should suggest that you agree to instruct one who will decide rather than getting one each as this will cut down the cost.You can propose that the loser pays the costs.I hope this helps, if there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond.Best wishesMichael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had the Meeting and an Easement is proposed what does that mean and do I have to let my neighbour at the bottom of the garden use my land until he may move?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi i have used the reply box. Did I do this right. Isaid what you said and the talk at the meeting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the easement the best resolution as they didnt feel we all needed to involve a conveyer?