Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My neighbour is now claiming my fence is 6 inches inside his

My neighbour is now claiming my fence is 6 inches inside his land the fence has been the over 30 years
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Under the law of adverse possession, a party who has possessed land belonging to someone else for 12 years or more without hindrance or dispute, that party can make an application to the Land Registry for possessory title of the land. This in effect means they then become the legal owner of the land.So, although I am not sure whether your neighbour has legal evidence that the boundary line is in the wrong position, the fact it has been there for 30 years, means you could defend any proceedings he brings against you by making your own application.I therefore suggest you inform your neighbour of the above.I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.Kind RegardsAl