Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

My landlord has sent both me and my husband an eviction

Hello, My landlord has sent both me and my husband an eviction notice. We were on shorthold tenancy starting Feb 2013 which was then changed to periodic tenancy. We have always paid the rent on time. The eviction notice received is under "Housing Act 1988, section 21(4)(a) as amended by section 194 and paragraph 103 of schedule 11 to the local government and housing act 1989 and section 98(2) and (3) of the housing act 1996"
The notice is to vacate in 2 months.
Firstly can the landlord send an eviction letter without letting us know?
Does this eviction letter affect credit score as we are planning to apply for mortgage?
What can be done?
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. On what day do you pay your rent please?When does the notice period run from and to please?Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We pay around 25th of each month , its a standing order instruction.We received the signed for eviction notice yesterday and it states to vacate by 25th may 2016,(exact words are " leave the below address after 25th may 2016. if you do not leave landlord may apply for court " so basically we have to leave below may 25th
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you. The landlord knows the law and has acted correctly in serving you with this notice.As your tenants is now a statutory periodic tenant this means that he is legally obliged to serve the s21 notice (which is what the notice is) on you giving you two months notice with such notice to expire at the end of a rent period.So, effectively the notice period is 24th March – 24th May and because the notice expires at the end of a rent period the notice is valid.The landlord is not obliged to inform you that he will serve the notice, he just has to serve the notice on you, which is what he has done.Unfortunately there is nothing that you can do and you will have to leave on/before the 24th March. You are obliged to pay the rent up until this date.The notice will not affect your credit score in any way so your mortgage application will not be affected. If you were to stay in the property beyond the 24th May and not pay rent then the landlord would be able to sue you for the rent and then this would be a CCJ against you, which would obviously affect your mortgage application so it is imperative that you comply with the noticeI am sorry that I could not have better news for you. My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question. Kind regards,Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you very much,