Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
12609314

I have been chasing the property manager building for

Customer Question

I have been chasing the property manager for my building for a few months for an answer re our garage roof which is asbestos and in need of repair or replacement. I have also had a couple of other queries. He has not returned my messages (4 emails & 3 phone calls) I have passed last one on to his receptionist whom I know has forwarded my queries. Still no response. Fed up and very angry. Have I any recourse?
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.
Assuming the block you live in has several residents I would simply tell the receptionist that since the property manager does not seem to be getting your messages that you will leave an open one to him/her on the notice board regarding your concerns about the asbestos and other matters where it is certain to get his attention as well as that of the other residents unless he calls you within, say , one day to discuss the matter privately.My money is on you getting a call!I hope this helps.If you have any further points please reply I will be happy to respond.Best wishesMichael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response. I have already enlisted the help of the receptionist on two occasions to make sure he has received my queries. She has been apologetic and embarrassed that he has continued to ignore them. I am supported in my dissatisfaction by other owner occupiers here who have also been chasing information. In fact my neighbour, Mr.Raw, did receive a response after several attempts, which makes me question why he is ignoring the female sector? Mr Raw was kind enough to share some information that was relevant to all owners although it did not cover my more specific queries. Surely there is a more constructive course of action I can take. I doubt embarrassing him will be effective as to date it has not resulted in any progress.
The answer would depend on who appoints the management company . You need to check the title deeds to the property. Where the properties are leasehold the freeholder usually appoints the management company or a company is sometimes created in which each resident has a share. I would threaten to go above the property manager to the company or freeholder.If you do not have a copy of your title deeds a local solicitors that do conveyancing will be able to obtain a set from the Land Registry at a modest feeBest regardsMichael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The freeholder is a property investment company owned by two individuals according to the deeds. I assume they have appointed the Management company. Is it feasible to go to a local lawyers and have a letter of complaint citing the property managers failure to address his responsibilities in relation to my property thereby delaying and jeopardising the upcoming marketing campaign to sell my flat? Regards Gail
Dear GailYes go straight to the freeholders . The management company is employed by them not you, so they will fob you off.The freeholders both have a contract (lease) with you but also a duty to you in common law ( non contractual).Michael