Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My father owns his house and freehold outright however

Hi. My father owns his house and freehold outright however it is not registered on Land Registry. 20 years ago he had drawn up a Deed of Gift for the house to be passed to me and my siblings.
As he is now 83 I would like to get the matter sorted out.
Question is can I make a first registration with Land Registry in my and my siblings names based on the Deed of Gift or does it have to go in Dads name. Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thanks for your enquiry.You can indeed go ahead and register the Deed of Gift at the Land Registry under the "voluntary registration procedure".As your Dad's deeds are unregistered, you will need to provide the Land Registry with all the documents proving your Dad's previous ownership of the property (this will include the Conveyance from when he bought the property).You are best to instruct a local Conveyancing Solicitor to go through the Deeds and put together all the necessary documents which he can then submit to the Land Registry, with the appropriate fee, which will be based on the current value of the property.I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position.Kind RegardsAl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. So just a straightforward 1st Voluntary registration using the documents I have (as you state)
Does it matter that my 2 siblings have since changed address since the Deed of Gift was drawn up ? Also does our 'ownership' of the property date from when it is registered at Land Registry or from when the Deed was signed ?
Hi,Yes- you need to apply using the Land Registry FR1 form.It doesn't matter that your siblings have changed address- there is space on the form to put their correct addresses.Your ownership will be shown as at the date of the Deed of Gift.I hope this helps. Kind RegardsAl