75100385

I have a question regarding copyright. Our

Customer Question

Hi...............I have a question regarding copyright. Our community radio station pays copyright and use to PRS / MCPS / PPL for the use of copyrighted material which satisfies the legal requirements which are needed to broadcast from the regulator Ofcom. I am aware that in fact these licenses might not cover us 100% for use and also that the use of some sound clips could fall outside the realm of what legally could be called "fair use" Say I wish to use sound clips of material published on You Tube for the purposes of re broadcast on line and on FM radio is it possible to do this if I include the You Tube name in the source credits? The sort of thing I'm talking about might be comedy clips from such people as Kenny Everitt obviously off video and radio recording and also material from Radio 4 comedy shows. Any light that you can shine on this problem would be most appreciated.
Colin Pearse (my email is***@******.***) if required.
Expert:  silentashes replied 1 year ago.
OK- one last question: Are you running Windows or Mac on your computer?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.For now please let me know how long these clips are?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our computer systems use Windows
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
For now please let me know how long these clips are?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a message from Alex asking how long the clips are and to which I have responded but when I click view response thats all I get..............no other text.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Can you just repeat the answer as I can't see it, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The clips would normally be a few seconds to several minutes. They would be just extracts. Please could you also explain why the length of these makes a material difference.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I you have a PRS, PPL licence etc then soundtrack are fine for music. As to the short video clips used, if they are short then you only need a credit. Any length of time which is long, ie more than say 15 seconds would need permission.But if you are using a short clip then no permission is needed as long as there is a credit.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex