Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I do not have home insurance, and during the recent bad weather

I do not have home insurance, and during the recent bad weather we experienced in the UK. A neighbour has come to my home to tell me a tile from my roof has damaged her car, and she is demanding payment and a copy of my home insurance policy. She was not parked on my property, and my roof is in good state (I even have a letter my builder has compose to state my home condition is excellent prior to the incidence). Am I right in saying that I am not liable for the damage due to the storm/wind being an act of God/natural weather? I can not predict the weather, and I was not negligible with my roof. Therefore, I do no not believe I should pay for this. However, I want to understand where we both stand in relation to the law. She has knocked on my door several times, which my children have answered, whilst I have been at work. Thus- I would like to rectify this issue as soon as possible.
Were tiles being blown down all over the place in your area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In my local area, it knocked a few trees out, few fences have been damaged, and yes tiles from other homes. Wind was 80/100mph so very excessive. My house is large, and sits on its own plot at the top of a hill, sitting at the highest point of the incline on my road.
What is the date of the builders letter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at work, will have to check as soon as I am home. The letter was early December as I wanted a few things in my home done. He then came round after the storm to fix when the tile had come off. He took a look all over the roof and said everything fine, and he will put in writing for me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the options for me?
Are you ready now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
All the best.