Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Around 18 years ago I built some sheds

Customer Question

Hi my name is Charlie
Around 18 years ago I built some sheds at the end of my garden now a developer as started building on the land and he says that I have gone 1.5 m onto his land.
The land registers says that after ten years I can claim the land ?? Is this true or not?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi Charlie,The law surrounding "adverse possession" (which is where you have possessed land belonging to a third party) does indeed state that if the land is registered at the Land Registry, you can make an application for possessory title of the land on which the sheds are situated, provided they have been there for 10 years or more, and you put the sheds there WITHOUT the formal consent of the landowner, and that during the 10/18 year period, your use of the land has never been questioned by the legal owner of the land.The fact that the Builder is now disputing your use of the land would NOT defeat your application for possessory title as this has been done after you have possessed the land for 10 years.I would therefore strongly advise you to instruct a local Conveyancing Solicitor immediately and he can guide you through the required application you need to make to the Land Registry.I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position.Kind RegardsAl
Hi,Can I assist you any further?Al
Hi,If you are happy with my answer, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.Kind RegardsAl