wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

I am looking to buy a property which will become the main residence

Customer Question

I am looking to buy a property which will become the main residence for my my wife and myself. My wife currently owns a number of properties which she rents out and our current main residence in her name only. The new house will be in my name only but we will not be selling our current main residence as my mother in law will be moving in to it.
I have been advised that I do not need to pay the new higher rate of SDLT on the new property but I am looking for further opinion
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello. If you are buying the house in your sole name and you do not personally own any other properties, then your solicitor is correct and you need only pay the standard SDLT rate on your purchase. The additional rate would only apply if you also owned another property or if you and your wife were buying the new house together.
Best, WB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, to be clear, as long as my wife's properties stay in her name only and the new property stays in my name only they can be considered separately and the fact that we are married does not take precedence?