75100385

I set up a ltd company to purchase a flat

I set up a ltd company to purchase a flat for refurb and sell on. Due to planning and building issues the flat lay empty for two years. The company finally sold the flat last Dec. I have since decided to dissolve the company and is currently in the liquidation process.
I received a letter via my accountants from the council where the flat was located. It was actually addressed to another person but c/o me. In it the council asked for any details I might have for this person as they are trying to track him down for council tax arrears. It got me thinking so I looked into it and I discovered that I should have been paying council tax for the entire period when the flat was empty! The council seem to think that this other gentleman was a tenant of my company during that period when in fact there wasn't one. So it would seem that my company should have paid 5-6k in council tax over that period. Now the company is in the middle of being dissolved, I'd like some advice on how to proceed. Even though it goes against my thoughts on paying tax, I am wondering if I just delay contact with council or be vague in my reply in order to wait for the company to be dissolved officially. Will that negate any liability?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Have you actually applied for it to be struck off please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My accountant has sent all the relevant details to the liquidator for the process to start. I presume it has started. I am not doing this to avoid any debts, I was doing it anyway as I am starting a new company. As mentioned it doesnt seem like the council know who they are looking for
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - if you have it struck off then you do not owe anything. If it is dissolved then any liability on you ends. This is because the Ltd company is a legal entity.Therefore you should have it dissolved then you wont owe anything.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. My only concern is that I know the company can be re-registered through the courts although it is a labourious process. Likelihood is the council will let it go?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
The Council is likely to get it go, given the cost it would be for them to do it. Does that clarify? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, thank you. It nearly puts my mind at rest!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex