75100385

What are my rights as a tenant please - I am a long term tenant

What are my rights as a tenant please - I am a long term tenant (over 10 years) last year my landlord passed away and his wife became my new landlady - I only pay a peppercorn rate and it was agreed with my landlord that I could stay in the house for the rest of my life as we were childhood friends and no contract was needed between us - a lot of things need doing to the house dampcourse, new boiler, electric needs checking, new kitchen and kitchen floor replacing etc.
The landlady put my rent up by £10 a month - a month ago which was not a problem and said she would review it again next year! In the meantime I have received a letter from her saying the house is going up for sale with me as a sitting tenant, the estate agent came today to take photos and I felt as if he was trying to suggest that I look for somewhere else to live etc . What are my rights please
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.What type of tenancy do you have please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was no tenancy agreement
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If the house is sold and you have no agreement there is no guarantee that you can stay. You have an assured shorthold tenancy if you have been there for 10 years.This means without an agreement it can be ended at any time by giving 2 months notice. Sadly there is nothing you can do about that given the date you moved in and the fact you have no agreement.But you can stay unless you are asked to leave by this or a new Landlord.I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So are you saying that if the house is not sold I'm OK? If the house gets sold obviously it will be a completely new tenancy
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Correct. Alex