LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

I'm a private tenant and will be moving out in a month.1. As

Customer Question

I’m a private tenant and will be moving out in a month.
1. As I have been living here for 3 years, some walls have got some black marks or scratches, and one door is a bit broken at the bottom from a doorstopper which was installed before I moved in. Do I need to get everything repaired before I move out, or is it considered as “wear & tear”?
2. We had a few leaks from the neighbour above and some have been repaired by the management company.
However the latest leak I have told the landlord at the time and he has contacted the management company, but nothing has been done yet (leak happened in December 2015).
Who is responsible to repair the leak, and if me (tenant) can I just tell the landlord to sort it out with the management company?
James
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Hi. How did these instances of damage come about?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I wasn’t very clear.

The leak happened by the neighbour above and it came thru to my flat.

Once it left a lot of watermarks, wallpaper came off and electricity problems, this has the management company all fixed up.

The latest leak in December was in the kitchen, it didn’t damage anything it just left some watermarks on the wall so it needs re-painting.

I and the landlord have been in contact with the management company at the time, but they didn’t re-paint the kitchen yet.

My question is as it came from the neighbour and the management company is responsibly do I have to make sure that this gets sorted before I leave, or I can just tell my landlord to sort it out with the management company?

Regarding the other damages:

The marks on the wall are just standard marks e.g. a chair got knocked against the wall and left a black mark. The walls were all freshly painted before I moved in, and now after 3 years it’s not so white anymore like it used to be. Some black marks and a bit off white.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I wasn’t very clear.

Regarding the other damages:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Waited over 36 hours, but still no answer
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you. I see Remus asked for more information earlier but he doesn't seem to be locked onto the question so I will assume he is unable to help and answer instead. 1 The landlord cannot usually deduct for normal wear a tear (eg carpets becoming worn) this would also usually exclude routine scrapes and marks to the wall from being deducted. 2 The marks from the leak are not your responsibility. It is down to the landlord who may have a claim against the leaky neighbour. Is the deposit in a guarantee scheme?