Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

We are renting a property, but using our own appliances

Customer Question

Hi, we are renting a property, but using our own appliances and are storing the white goods that came with the property on the property. Can a landlord force us to use their appliances?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
No.You are free to use your own equipment as you wish.I suppose, going to extremes, that if your equipment caused damage to the property then you would be liable for that but that really isn't very likely now that plugs are standardised and safety tested.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We received an email from property management telling us to remove our appliances and to reinstall the landlord's washing machine & tumble drier. So, to be clear, if we keep it on the property in the same condition as we did when we moved in, and reinstall it when moving out, there is no law that states the landlord can force us to use it, no?The email:
Dear *****ell & CatharinaFollowing our recent mid-term inspection I duly informed the Landlord that you had replaced the washing machine and tumble dryer with your own.The Landlord insists that you reinstate the washing machine and tumble dryer that was in situ when you took the tenancy to the property as she has British Gas Home Care Cover with these appliances and if there are any problems to call British Gas to rectify.Please let me know when you have reinstated these items.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
No.Unless the terms of your contract compell you to use their equipment I suppose but that is not likely.The only reason they may be is to do with the insurances.