LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

Myself and the previous owner of our house have enjoyed

Hi myself and the previous owner of our house have enjoyed access and parking to the rear of our property by an informal licence between ourselves and the land owner for 23 years unchallenged sadly she has passed away I would like to know what our rights are with regard to continued access to our property Someone at work has told me that because we have had access for over 20 years it should continue
Thank you Annie
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you. Can you tell em what you mean by informal licence? Did your old neighbour give you permsission?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes she did and my predecessors before us we signed an A4 piece of paper typed up by herself that we signed saying she gave us permission to use the land but we had no legal right of way
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are very concerned as our neighbour has told my husband(who has rented the property next door from the landowner ) has been told by the landowners family that things are going to change with regard to the land we use
I will answer this fully tonight or tomorrow morning. Like most lawyers on just answer I fit in these answers around my orthodox legal practice. Something urgent has come up today that I need to deal with into the evening. I haven't forgotnne you and will answer.
I am afraid that if your access is based on permission then this is probably a personal agreement between you and the previous owner. You will not gain any rights through prescription (ie long use which is what your friend is talking about) if permission was given. So it is likely that the new owners can revoke the permission. Have you paid anything for the use?If you have a copy of the original permission you can upload it and i will look at it. If it is la long document I may offer to do it as an additional service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been told that you can apply to the courts after 20 yrs have passed with or without permission to use the land for access is this true particularly as our acess is landlocked
That is not right. You must have used the land without permission.