75100385

My gentle 27 son has rented a room in a house /2 years and been a model tenan

My gentle 27 son has rented a room in a house for 41/2 years and been a model tenant. Last month he went to use a shared bathroom and it would not flush. It was 21.30 and he left it to try later. At 01.00 it still was not fli
Using and he felt it was too late to disturb anyone and would report it in the morning. When he got up there was a shirty note on the door demanding that the responsible party contact the manager adapt. He did so, apologised and explained why he had waited and was told he had to pay £450 to get it sorted. I then got involved as he has no savings and wondered if this should be covered by insurance?
It transpires that the toilet had been vandalised - vomit in and around it - half pulled off the wall and causing a leak below. Obviously this was not my son - but they are saying he confessed to it and insisting he pays. I have tried to reason with them - my son is very quiet and shy, but they are insisting. Where do we stand?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.What is it you want to achieve?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He wants to stay in his rental and not be charged £450
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I please clarify what the £38 pound I have paid for covers in terms of your time and input? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be going to bed shortly - but will check in again tomorrow, thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be available intermittently today, but hope we can have contact later this morning?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Do they have any evidence that he did any malicious damage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok then he doesn't need to worry. Unless they can show he did it on purpose then there is no claim against him. He admits it was damaged but not by him, but that is not an admission of liability.They can't ask him to leave unless his agreement allows them to. So he needs to check the terms and conditions very carefully.But if there was no damage caused by him or it was not done maliciously then he can't be asked to leave or pay.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you but I think we are covered. The CAB is taking this on now and they agree with you that there is just no evidence and in no way should we pay anything. I have just found out that the toilet has caused flooding damage below for the last 4 years and they have just replastered the ceilings below.....nice of them. They are threatening S21 but I now feel confident that the information I have accrued should end this accusation. I am going in today and expect it to conclude.
thank you again
sue
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
S.21 you can't stop, unless your son is in a fixed period. A landlord is entitled when a tenancy fixed period expires to issue a section 21 notice giving 2 months.Sadly you can't stop a landlord doing that if outside the fixed period .Can I clarify anything for you Sue?Alex
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience