LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

I live in an alleyway and the owners in the house next door

I live in an alleyway and the owners in the house next door has said that they own the alleyway. we have been here 10 years, they have just bought the house. They are asking us, since they own the alleyway and we only have right of way, to remove anything that is in the alley except our bins and that they be put to the side of our house. the alley way is 5-6 feet in width in some places. can they do this? I own my house and there is no other access.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you. Does he say why he claims this is the case. What advice did you get about the alleyway's ownership when you bought the propertty?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionYour starting point is to down load the Title Deeds to BOTH properties from the Land Registryhttps://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registryThis will tell you which property does own the alleyway - and if your neighbours do own it what rights you have over it.It is the exact wording of the rights which will tell you what you are and are not allowed to do - there is no other way of finding outPlease ask if you need further details
The title deeds are not necessarily definitive. It is highly like that your solicitor at purchase will have given you advice about your rights to use the alleyway, this may have gone beyond what is recorded in title deeds and is the sensible place to start if you still have the report on property or equivalent document from your purchase.
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience: Experienced solicitor