Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

HelloI have rented my property to a new tenant that has

I have rented my property to a new tenant that has signed a lease for 1 year with a 6 month break clause. He is coming up to the end of the 1st month. He has decided that the apartment is too noisy and now too small for him. As a result he is claiming the apartment is not worth the rental amount he signed up for and is stating he will from this moment only be paying what he thinks its worth (£1,500 pm as opposed to £1,750 pm in shorthold tenancy agreement). I have offered to cut short his lease, find a new a tenant and return his deposit under the circumstances but will not accept non-payment of the full rental. He has refused. What should I do next? Thankyou. Adrian
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 7 months ago.
Please don't worry.Whatever he thinks it is worth, he is liable for the amount you agreed.
Just serve him with a S8 notice alleging persistent delays and arrears and recover at court. You will need to wait until he does pay late.It is also worth waiting until his deposit is depleted because you can recover from that.
If the property isn't to his liking then he shouldn't have taken it. Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thankyou, How do I obtain an S8 notice? His first rent is due on 11th of this month, he is likely to pay me £1,500 as opposed to £1,775 as contained in the lease. How should I correspond with him from this point onwards after having failed to reach an agreement with him? Thankyou.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
are you still there?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I require an answer to my last question please.Adrian
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
have i been cut off?
Well, as I said really.Wait until he has underpaid for several months and then serve a S8 notice on him.You can get S8 notices at WH Smiths or online.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So no further correspondence required at this stage just let him under pay me then deduct from deposit?
You could write a letter before action. It wouldn't do any harm to do that.There isn't any action that can be taken until he does fail to pay though.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How long do I have to wait before serving this notice?
I would give it three months. Write a letter of objection first. Let him pay at the reduced rate for that long as you can always deduct from the deposit and then serve a S8 notice asserting grounds 10 and 11.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay thankyou. The letter of objection, can that be an email opposing his course of action or should it be addressed to him formaly?Hypothetically speaking, he underpays by £750 after 3 months and I serve the S8 notice on him. What is the notice period as I am assuming because he has contravened the terms of his lease, the normal 2 month period either side is null and void now?Thankyou.Adrian
Yes, an email is fine. It just about setting on the record that you do not agree.Breaches under ground 10 and 11 are not mandatory grounds for a possession order but you would get compensation.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So does that mean by law he can still stay until the break clause period of 6 months is up whereupon I can serve notice to leave?A
Yes, unless the court is willing to order possession.Compensation might be more appropriate.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Compensation you mean withholding the amount owed from his deposit and claiming that as compensation?
Yes, you could deduct from his deposit but quite quickly that will be depleted.That is why you need to serve a S8 notice upon him and recover any outstanding amount at court.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thankyou. I'll follow your advice. In the meantime i paid an extra £25 to reconnect with you before not realising I didn't need to when I thought you had gone! Anything I can do to get a refund? Thanks. Adrian
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 7 months ago.
I am a moderator for this topic.
I will process that refund for you now!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thankyou so much.Adrian
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanyou