LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

Trying to ascertain who owns the boundary wall on two sides

Trying to ascertain who owns the boundary wall on two sides of my property. It doesn't seem obvious from our deed.
I am assuming it is mine and we have lived in the house since it was build.
The house was 1 of 11 built in what was originally the grounds of a convent. There is an alley path on the opposite side of the wall.
Seems to be something in the deeds mentioning the land being originally owned by a Marquis or some such.
How do I really find out.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you. The conveyance deed (or the transfer deed) may express in words the boundaries for which the owner of the property is responsible. If it does not then the conveyance (or the transfer) plan may employ the convention of applying a T-mark to those boundaries for which responsibility rests with the owner of the property (as in the diagram at right). If responsibility for the boundary is shared (for example, in the case of a "party fence wall") then an H-mark (effectively two T-marks mirrored on the boundary line) is the conventional symbol that is used.If the deeds are silent on the question of responsibility for the boundary then you may have to work on the basis of the information given in the Seller's Property Information Form by the vendor at the time you bought your property.It is sometimes possible to infer who is responsible for a fence by establishing the pattern of fence ownership along the same side of the street.