75100385

A plumber installed a new bathroom suite in my top storey

hi. A plumber installed a new bathroom suite in my top storey flat and it has flooded the downstairs neighbour.He has refused me entry to inspect the damage which he claims is severe. My insurer says I am NOT covered for repairs to his property. Who is liable ? the plumber or me ?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Do you have or does the freeholder have buildings insurance pleaseAlex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have buildings insurance including escape of water but have been told it only covers damage to my flat, not other premises. A bit odd in a block of flats !!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
What does the policy wording say? What about the freeholder, do they have insurance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An exclusion to the policy is that they do not pay for faulty workmanship, or faulty materials.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The owner has sub-let the flat for years but I do not know him. He asked for my insurance details but surely by law he must have landlords insurance.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - if you are not covered and the Plumber was negligent then you can sue the Plumber.If the Plumber was not negligent and you are not covered by insurance then you are liable.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally, should have I been allowed to see exactly what damage had been caused ? The landlord said the flat was uninhabitable, but the tenant has not moved out and had friends around last night. he is there tonight too. I am of the opinion that he will grossly inflate a claim against me as I know that the flat is run down inside and has not bee decorated for many years.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You need evidence and a survey. Without that you are not liable to make ANY payments.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes indeed. Thank you very much for your assistance. It has been much appreciated and eased my mind.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex