Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
12609314

I had a leak in my flat which damaged the bathroom in the flat

Customer Question

I had a leak in my flat which damaged the bathroom in the flat below...the leak was fixed quickly.. the damage in the flat below is minimal but the lady downstairs wants me to paint all her bathroom and kitchen as if I paint the damaged area will look better than the rest of the room ...how much am I liable for?
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.
Your obligation is to put your neighbour in the position that she would have been in had the leak not occurred. As such you are only obliged to repair the damaged area. If the area you repair looks better than the rest she has the option of painting the rest .If there are any further points please reply.Best wishesMichael