75100385

Alex, I have just converted garage (seperate from my house).

Hi Alex, I have just converted garage (seperate from my house). One of my builders wants to rent it. Could i rentout under the spare room scheme .If not what would be the most tax efficient way of going about this. There is no kitchen just room and a bathroom
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for asking for me, is it self contained?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is self contained but the utilities go from my main house so i will be responsible for the bills. It has it's own front door
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please could i have an answer to my question?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have had to look up some rules. Sadly because it is self contained it is not considered to be a room.It needs to be attached to your main house and not self contained, ie just a room.Therefore it does not come under the rent a room scheme.If not sadly its a let and as such you can offset any running costs associated with the let such as gas, electric, insurance etc.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou for that Alex would there be any advantage in letting it Monday to Friday or would it be the same rules?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Same I am afraid. Alex