Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

We were forced to leave our rented workshop in November due

Customer Question

We were forced to leave our rented workshop in November due to arrears with the rent and now the landlord is pursuing us for the arrears. The was never a lease or guarantors or rental agreement. The original terms were agreed verbally. We have occupied the workshop for 10 years and have always had a good relationship with the managing agents and we have always paid our rent in an ad hoc fashion due to the irregular nature of our business. In 2012 we became a Ltd company. On the face of it how do we stand?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Please can you tell me whether you had discussed any arrangements to pay the arrears prior to now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In October we were told by the managing agents that the landlord was giving us 30 days notice to get out and we got back and said that if the notice could be extended to 60 days as it was our busiest time of the year we could pay the arrears and there wouldbe no need for us to vacate the premises. As it was the landlord was being difficult and tried to call our bluff by continuing with the 30 days notce so we had to go which caused us considerable cost and inconvenience and effected our work load and ability to get in funds to pay up, Since then the pressure has been on and the landlord has taken the account out of the agents hands and went to debt recovery agents - 2 of which have abandoned the project but now another has reared it's ugly head so we want to know how we stand. We have never said that we won't pay just that we need to get back on track after a damaging experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When and how do we get an answer from you?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
I have looked into your query in more detail but unfortunately it is not something I can assist with and it is probably best if I move this to our property section. I will therefore ‘opt out’ and a colleague better placed to deal with the nature of your query should hopefully pick this up soon. Please do not reply in the meantime as that will just assign the question back to me and you will experience a delay. Thank you
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.I see the expert has opted out - what else would you like to know?Alex