chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

A neighbour problem. Along one side of my proprty there is a

A neighbour problem. Along one side of my proprty there is a lane, originally an allotment lane,now jointly owned by the residents on the other side of the lane, 8 houses in all, who at some time acquired the rights to garage their cars in the lane so effectively it is a private lane. On my side there are 3 houses but we have access on foot as there was an old footpath there.
I have a fence alongside this lane with a row of very tall leyandi trees growing inside my fence. With the very violent winds and storms of last winter I decided to have the most exposed tress cut down for the safetly of the people using the lane in their cars or on foot.
On Friday I was away from the house for a couple of hours while the men were still working. They went into the lane to cut down overhanging branches not accessible from the garden. I found on my return that the men were very upset as they had been verbally abused by one of the residents with a garage for putting a ladder against the lane side of my fence and cutting the overhanging branches not accessible from the garden.
So what do I do if I need access to the lane to complete the cutting down of my dangerous trees?
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.
Do your deeds refer to access over the lane?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure. I don't think so and iIhave never had a problem int he past. .My house deeds are with my solictior. But there is a foot path right of way so I can walk down the lane. Maureen Martin
Hi,Have you ever exercised the right to access the lane in the past for tje same purpose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never. There has never been a problem. There are 6 houses with garages on this lane. I have just been to three of them and explained why the trees were being cut down. They all thanked me, gave permission for the lane to be used etc etc. The other three houses including the problem man did not answer the door so I have written down what I said - namely the trees are being cut down to prevent accidents in the high winds and hurricanes such as we had last winter. I put the note in their letter box. So all have been informed. Maureen Martin
PS. I discussed with another neighbour what the man said to the workmen. It sounded like verbal abuse and intimidation. She said I should call the police if this happened again. Is this the correct thing to do? I could see that that the workmen were all were absolutely shaken by the incident.
Hi,It seems you have done the corrwct thing by contacting all of your neighbours.If an incident such as this occurs again, it would be wise for you to contact the police.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help. It's now wait and see.
Yourr welcome.Good luck.If i have answered your question, k8ndly rate the answer and provide feedback.Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks . It is reassuring to know I have done the right thing.
Rating prompt and very helpful
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no more questions. Thanks for your help. The problem seems to have been resolved .