chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I as a tenant replaced a carpet and paid bathroom to be

I as a tenant replaced a carpet and paid for the bathroom to be tiled and for a shower to be put in. The carpet that was originally down had been down 7+ years was worn and coming apart. The landlady wants me to leave the carpets and pay her up to the end of her section 21 notice. (2 months)
However I believe that I am entitle to take the carpet with me and if i so wished the shower too. Where do I stand on this?
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.
Hi,If you can replace the landlords items then this shluld not be an issue. Or unless you can prove that the landlord agreed that you could replace these items and then reinstall the landlords items at the time you vacate.If you do not have evidence to this effect, you will find it difficult.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask Kind regards
Hi,Do you have any evidence that you paid for these items?If so, provided you make good any damage caused when removing these items you should be ok.The issue is that if at the time you rented the property the items in question were provided, you would have to reinstall the landlord items.If you do not have these, the landlord can argue that the items purchased by you were for the purpose of replacing the landlords items at your own cost.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In my agreement it says I can decorate as I wish. But who legally owns the shower and carpet. These items I only replaced because she agreed through email I could stay until April 17. Now she has decided to sell and I believe if she wants the items to stay she should re imburse me or at least contribute towards them,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have receipt to show proof of purchase. there was no shower in the property. This is an addition I made under the understanding I was going to have until April 2017
Hi,Decorating normally inckuded painting etc. This would not include replacing the landlords items nunless you have their consent.If you can prove that you purchased the items, i would suggest that you negotiate a reduction in rent as it may prove difficult to remove the items.If the landlord has stated you can stay until april if you replace the carpet, this should give you something to bargain with.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.kind regards