Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

My husband and I have lived at No. 4 Anchor Mills,

Customer Question

My husband and I have lived at No. 4 Anchor Mills, Bradiford, Barnstaple since 1989. Our property was part of an old mill which was being converted into six 3 and 4 storey dwellings. When we first moved in the five double garages which are located behind and separate from the mill were not built. At this time we were allotted a single garage which was built some months later. The adjoining garage was offered to us by the site manager for £1,000 and which we agreed to buy. This was put into the hands of our solicitors who endeavoured to proceed with the purchase on our behalf. However, after numerous attempts by our solicitor there was no response from the builder.
Over the past 27 years we have been using the garage and indeed have 3 times painted the exterior (together with our own garage) and replaced the rotten wooden facias with plastic. Also the roof has needed repairs.
Recently it has been drawn to the attention of the builder that this garage is still registered under his name. He has subsequently been in telephone contact with us and suggested a figure of £10,000 to £15,000 for us to legally purchase the garage. I said that this was out of the question. A few hours later he phoned again and asked that we put in writing what we would be willing to pay and he hoped that we could come to some mutual agreement.
Before doing so I would like to know our legal position regarding this.
We welcome your advice.
Neil Bartlett
Patricia Bartlett
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Did you gave any contsct from the builder since negotiating a pruce for thd garage in 1984?