75100385

We have just moved into a new property [2 weeks ago] as

We have just moved into a new property [2 weeks ago] as tenants under an AST. The landlord is refusing to repair the garden shed which cannot be used and is presenting a safety risk. An important factor in selecting this property was this external storage. The shed is explicitly referred to in the marketing particulars and Schedule A [Inventory Report of the Fixtures, Furniture & Fittings] of the AST. The shed was therefore offered as part of the property [fixture] and therefore it is reasonable that the landlord maintains its utility. What are my options e.g. rent abatement, cost recovery of providing a shed myself etc.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.What is the cost of repair please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's beyond economic repair. A replacement is £250.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - then you can replace it and sue the Landlord for the cost. You can seek a rent reduction but cant just offset rent. So either way you may need to issue proceedings. You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex