Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have been a tenant of my shop past 20 years,my land lord

Customer Question

I have been a tenant of my shop for the past 20 years,my land lord decided to rebuild he's 6 flats above my 2 shops work started in January, we thought it would only take 6-8 weeks, we have had walls knocked down there's a hole in the floor that's got boards around it,business has been affected by it,as we look closed and we cannot display the stock that we usually do,the building is very old and never been repaired, they need to sucure the building by putting in a steel beam we are currently rewriring the shops ( as its required ) we are covered in dirt and the builders are working during the day in the shop which is very noisy and messy,my lease ran out 1 year ago, but my landlord has assured me he will renew when the work is completed. We are still paying the full amount of rent,as my landlord says he's doing he's best to keep us open.what are my rights ? I think it's unfair to being paying rent and other costs,when it's he's building that's benefiting while we are suffering.. I am unsure what to do, I would like to sell my share of the business to my partner (business ) and start something new.i would love solutions where everyone has clarity to what they are Intitited to and resposable for, my insurance company came to the shop yesterday for loss of earnings ,and said all the work and mess was because of the flats being done upstairs..what can I do ? Laurie
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello Laurie my name is ***** ***** I will help you.What is it you want to achieve?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like my landlord to give me free rent whilst the work is being done,and I would like to know who's resposable to pay for the work inside my shop and what rights do I have without a valid lease.
Can he ask me to leave the shop, if I tell him I don't think I should be paying rent until the work is completed or we have a finishing date ?should we be offered cleaners to clean up the builders mess ? Can I refuse the work going on in the shop until we have come to an agreement...how can I be bought out of the shop if I don't have my new lease ?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
How much are you seeking to claim?