F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I have had my house on the market with one estate agent

Customer Question

I have had my house on the market with one estate agent for 4 months.will they charge me if I change to another estate agent
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
What does the contract say about terminating the agreement? Have you signed it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have signed the agreement with Estate agent. They say I must stay with them for 16 weeks. up to 6 months they can still charge
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
If it says that they can charge you, they will usually try to enforce that. However you may be able to defend any action they bring either by paying them a nominal amount of money in full and final settlement of their claim or by telling them that they are in breach of contract by not doing anything to market the property during that period.Just because they have found a buyer does not necessarily mean they have not done the work to try to find one. They would be entitled to be paid for that work.I would need to see the contract to establish exactly what you would be liable forCan I clarify anything for you?Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.Best wishesFES