propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

I have an issue regarding the neighbours access to the front

HiI have an issue regarding the neighbours access to the front and back of the garden. We have a stream of visitors who come through our side gate to the next door neighbours back door. They cross our patio and through our garden. We have small children and we do not feel the children are safe and the dog has been let out on numerous occasions and twice we have been burgled. We are keen to put a stop to this and have tried reasoning with next door including offering to pay for a pathway to be put in for her at the front like everybody else. The houses are ex council but have been privately owned and have been so for some time. We are happy for the neighbour herself to use it and any bin men etc who may need to gain access but not all of the her visitors. I have a copy of the deeds. Please advise..
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

This must be very frustrating. It will be difficult to say with certainty without reading the deeds. If your neighbour has a right to use the accessway in order to access and egress her property it may be difficult to prevent visitors using the accessway.

I am happy to read the deeds to advise further.

Do let me know if you have any further questions or queries. I would be happy to assist you further.

Please can I ask you to take a moment to accept/rate my reply. Otherwise I will not get paid for the time I have taken to consider and type my reply. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiSorry i was having trouble getting in to my account to answer. Here is the exact wording on the deeds. I scribbled out the address as i didn't know if it would be made public. Can you please take a look at it and advise.

Thanks. This is standard wording. This would extend to your neighbour allowing visitors to use it.

You cannot really put a lock on the gate without going the neighbour a key. But the bin men would be denide access if you did, unless you come to an arrangement with the neighbour that bins are put the otherwise of your gate the night before collection.

You can use security and the burglary as a reason.

Although the neighbour could refuse and say you are restricting her right and you would have to remove it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
34;Can i put a lock on a gate and give her a key? I have seen other threads on her where solicitors have advised others that they are fully within there rights to do so

You can, as I said you can and need to give her a key and come to an arrangement regarding the bins.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect.. i will do this. 1 of the bins are on the front and the other i can just take out for her the night before.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Legally do i have to give her more than 1 key and can it be a master key that doesnt get cut?

I would suggest giving her one copy and retain the master.