propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

My landlady is being funny with me she said in the tenancy

Customer Question

My landlady is being funny with me she said in the tenancy agreement I have to pay for any broken pipes that she isn't mending anything anymore. Plus I haven't had a gas safety check for 2 yrs. The bond hasn't been put away the landlady has it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A bit more she accused me of breaking the boiler because it needed topping up. My fault the cooker broke it was the elements. It wouldn't heat up. She told me to repair it or by my own. So I bought my own.so I can take it with me if I move. She couldn't believe I'd done that. What do I pay rent for. I have rights as a tenant surely.
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

Tenants do have rights. Landlord's have obligations.

The landlord must get the boiler checked annually and you can report your landlord fir failing to do this.

Your landlord must register your deposit with a tenancy deposit scheme.

Your tenancy agreement should set out your'd and your landlord's obligations. In addition there are statutory rights.

Maintenance of the boiler is the landlord's responsibility as the landlord is under a legal obligation to provide constant hot water and heating.

Replacement of white goods is not down to the tenant unless damaged or destroyed by the tenant.

Take a look at the link:

https://www.tenancyagreementservice.co.uk/repairing-obligations

Do you have any further questions or queries? Anything specific in respect of the tenancy or your landlord's conduct that I can advise further on.

Please remember to accept/rate.