75100385

I am a secured tenant housing association (social housing)

I am a secured tenant for a housing association (social housing) in semi detached house with 2 rooms. I am still living here but my brother in law and his mrs and their 2 kids have recently been made homeless.
out of the kindness of my heart i have decided to let them stay with me free of charge for the near future.
All the bills are still all in my name and their is absolutely no rent paid to me by him or anyone else for that matter.
I dont stay at this house every night because my job demands that im out on the road alot (im a sales rep) and cover quite a big region.
This is still my primary residence however im concerned that a new presence of a family in the home may cause concern to my landlord.
Do you think they will A) try and give me a notice to quit as they "believe" I may be subletting or B) Spy on me and generally give me grief
I pay full rent and have never messed my landlord around, am i actually allowed to let anyone i wish stay in my property free of charge so long as its my main residence?
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Have you informed your Landlord please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ive paid £28.00 already for an indepth answer to my question. i dont need a 30 minute chat thanks ... i wish i could afford it to make us both happy but im broke right now :(I havent told me landlord yet as they havent moved in yet however i didnt think i needed to tell them as they are not paying me rent - also i believe telling them would only cause me grief as they would poke their nose to much into my business...its a simple situation
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I cant afford another £50.00 on top of the £28 sorry :(
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

When did they move in and why didnt you tell the Landlord?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They havent moved in yet i have decided to let them move on in.Why would the landlord need to know its simply family living with me and im paying full rent.
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

Will you be charging them rent?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no rent being charged at all, i would be more than happy to co-operate with any authourities too look at any bank statements etc.... they have no money. they are family. they will do my cooking and cleaning to help me out etc...
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

Ok - you need to check your tenancy agreement and see what it says.

It may say that you need to inform the Landlord if anyone else is going to live there with you. Whilst I accept you are not subletting as no rent is payable, I would certainly inform them.

This is because it would look like you are subletting especially if you are not staying every night. But you need to check your agreement carefully to see if it allows you to move anyone else in without informing the Landlord.

Usually it requires consent even if no rent is payable, so I would check the agreement.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if i was to not contact them and move them in.... how could they prove that i am subletting?All the bills are in my name, my belongings are still there....including appliances which i have receipts for etc...if my tenancy was ok to move them in, would they be paranoid and keep an "eye" on me for example?
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

You could still be in breach of your agreement with them - thats why you need to check the terms.

They are more likely to get worried if you move in and DONT tell them. if its in advance, then you are being up front and have nothing to hide.

They wont keep an 'eye' on you if you tell them.

Does that clarify?

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Ash replied 9 months ago.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex