75100385

Me and my partner very recently bought a flat in London (

Me and my partner very recently bought a flat in London ( completed and moved in around 3 weeks ago). We have a dog and the estate agent that sold us the flat knew we had a dog . Beyond that the lease agreement states no pets without the "landlords consent(in its absolute discretion)"" however we did not see this as an issue as we saw a few other dogs in the building when we were viewing the flat. Yesterday we received a letter from the property manager asking stating that our landlord has a strict no pets policy and to remove our dog with immediate effect. Obviously we cannot just pack up and move and our dog is part of our family. I have spoken to numerous people and the main recommendation is that we seek an exception from the landlord which is what we are planning on doing. However if the case arises and they do not agree to allow our dog do we have any options ? I know the worst case scenario would be the landlord to go after forfeiture of the lease, any ideas on how long that process could take? The reason i am asking is that maybe it would be worth just ignoring the landlord until i could sell and move ( obviously before i loose the flat due to forfeiture )
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to confirm, are there other dogs in the building?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Alex
We have seen at least 2 dogs in the flat although the property manager claims to not know about them .
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Can you speak to the owners to see if they know whether the Management Co know about it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i rarely come across them but if i do i sure will ask. Im hoping to get this resolved by getting consent from the landlord even if they require extra on the service charge or guarantees however i'm worried to what happens if they say no . The only complaint and hence the reason for this was that i accidentally let my dog go to the toilet outside one of the buildings , other than that no one seems to care .
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Ok - you need to ask, because the situation is like this - if its in your lease as to no pets, then you can't. The Landlord can take you to Court to seek an Order that you do not have it.

However if there are others with dogs then it would be hard for the Landlord to take you to Court, if permission has been given.

Therefore you must get in contact with other owners to find out. If its been going on then you are fine.

But if its against the rules and you have no evidence you may be in difficulty.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yeah doesnt sound good but we will see. Here is a just a last question , i will not get rid of my dog regardless so i guess my only option eventually would be to have to sell , do you have any kind of idea on how long it could take from the landlord saying No to me having a dog to being near forfeiture ? The idea being if i could slow the process down it could potentially allow me to sell the flat while living there and find somewhere else.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

6 months or so. Does that clarify? Alex

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That does. thanks for your help.
Expert:  Ash replied 11 months ago.

Good luck. Alex