Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
13262538

I am a lodger at my landlady's property. She regularly

I am a lodger at my landlady's property. She regularly sends her boyfriend to check up on her house and also to communicate with me. The only problem is, he doesn't actually speak to me in a civilised manner. He has been shouting down at me and humiliating me. He has also accused me of lying when I haven't. This has made me feel very distressed.Today, my question is, do I have to communicate with the landlady's boyfriend or can I refuse to do so? Would it be possible for me to refuse to speak to him, but only have dialogue with my landlady?
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

Have you told your landlady how you feel?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've sent her text messages and explained to her in detail that the way in which he communicates with me is repulsive, rude and dictatorial. I've had conversations with her about his communication skills in private, through text messages and also over the phone.
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

Why does her boy friend need to speak to you at all - does he live there?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He does not live there at all. The landlady doesn't even live at her property either. She has a room in the property, but doesn't sleep in it. She has a room with her things in it, and once a week or once every fortnight she comes round to her property to check up on it and fiddle about with the things she has left in her 'storage' room. From time to time, she also asks her boyfriend to check up on the property and have a word with me. Her boyfriend has the keys to her property and can stroll into it anytime she wishes.
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

How often does the boyfriend call round?

What form of agreement have you signed?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would say at present, it could be said that he comes here roughly once or twice per month.The landlady had made me sign a lodger's agreement, but has not given me a copy of this agreement.
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

I assume you do not wish to leave the property?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nope. If you don't have any answers at the moment, just let me know. I'll keep this feed open and return to it at a later date. My main question was, if this landlady's boyfriend has been harassing me, am I entitled to refuse to speak to him? He does not own the property. It belongs to the landlady.
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

Your landlady is entitled to ask her boyfriend to act as her agent.

Having said that only she can give you notice to quit (unless she gives her boyfriend written authority to do so.

I would suggest that you write a formal letter of complaint to her about the way that he speaks to you and say that unless she confirms in writing that she has authorised him to speak to you in this way then you will in future refuse to respond to him

Of course this may mean that you are given notice to quit.

At that stage you may be able to challenge the fact that you are not a lodger but a tenant since she is not actually resident at the property - and I assume that the bills are in your name

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. The bills aren't in my name. They are all in her name. If you think I'm in a weak or vulnerable position, I'll either have to work around these issues or leave the property at some stage I guess.She has a room which she uses as a storage facility. She doesn't actually reside and sleep here. When she does come here, she uses the kitchen and rummages around her storage room. This I can confirm with honesty.
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

Sadly if the bills are not in your name you are vulnerable I am afraid

Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That is fine. I was searching for impartial and honest advice. A blunt answer is what I was looking for. :-)
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

You are most welcome - good luck