propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

I have been considering selling off a slice of our garden

Hello, I have been considering selling off a slice of our garden (next to the street) and have done a load of googling but then it occurred to me that as this is a leasehold property, even with the freeholder's consent we wouldn't get the bulk of the money that changes hands. How does it work in this situation? We turned down the freehold a couple of years ago before the current owner of the title started to manage the property. We get on fairly well with him.
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question.

I hope I can be of assistance.

On the face of it you cannot sell part of the lease.

You could potentially grant a sub-lease of the garden land. You may need consent of the freeholder. I would need to see the terms of the lease to comment further.

Not easy to advise without the title document and lease. Do you have electronic copies of the title and lease which you can attach to a mail to me?

P

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you. I'm not sure I have an electronic version. I will ask my partner and get back to you.

Thanks. Then I can take a look.

You can buy a copy from the land registry, for title and lease should be less than a tenner.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, I've checked and I don't think we do have one. Perhaps you can tell me where in the document I should look?

You need to establish that you have title to the land you want to dispose of.

You then need to check if you can grant a sub lease and need the freeholder's consent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I'll look into that.