Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have a question regarding selling my property, I have two

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question regarding selling my property, I have two agencies advertising the property.originally the buyer was introduced by agency A but after 6 months of messing around I decided not to sell to this particular buyer because he was taking to long. I have instructed the agency I no longer want to deal with them. Two weeks later same buyer contacts agency B and after renegotiating price (higher) I decided to sell with agency B. Now agency A found out and they are claiming they have introduced the buyer first therefore I will have to pay dual fee. The agency A introduced the buyer 9 months ago, but only after 7 months ago I have pulled out. Will need to pay both agencies?
Vilita
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear Vilita, I regret to say that once Agency A introduced you to this buyer, then they are entitled to a fee if you go ahead and complete a sale with the Buyer. Essentially, once you complete a sale with a person introduced by the AGency, then a liability to pay the Agency a fee arises. I know this is not the answer you want to hear. However, the law protects Agency A once they introduced the buyer you go ahead and sell it to. So, here, you have a liability to pay a fee to both agencies. However, I would advise you to negotiate with both agencies and seek a reduction in the fee payable to each. Ultimately, it is the same buyer, even if both agencies now think they are due a full fee.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Please rate the answer as unless you rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.