LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

If I on my boundary to the right from the street, which is

Customer Question

If I on my boundary to the right from the street, which is not in dispute by the neighbour and is the same in the whole street. However the neighbour helped the previous owner build the fence and shared some expence. That i cant change it. Bacuse alttough I own the boundary. If I touch the fence on it. He said he will call the police?? In contributing to he build with a previous owner but not desputing that ot my maintainabble boundary......is this right
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically I want some legal confimation that when I bought the house and the boundary that included the fence on it. As such it mine to do with replace as I please. Or as he contributed finacially to the actual wooden fence, does that make the boundary and fence his and criminal damage if I touch it (the maintainable side is NOT in dispute) he states that i own the boundary but he owns part the fence so it has to remain on my boundary unless he permits me to chage my fnece and agrees to what fence
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please do continue happy to wait
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience I will try to answer this for you.

If you are certain that the fence is yours and not your neighbours then it is unlikely that he can prevent you replacing or altering it. He may have had an agreement with the person you bought from but unless there is a formal restriction at the land registry (your conveyancing solicitor would have told you about this) then you are not bound.

Even if there is a restriction it would not be a crime to work on the fence but arguably a civil wrong.

You can not cause criminal damage to your own property.