Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I live in England and wanted to know as a land lord, when my

Hi, i live in England and wanted to know as a land lord, when my tenant signs the tenancy agreement does it need to be witnessed if it's a years tenancy
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.

No.

The only purpose to a witness is to rebut any suggestion that the document was not signed by the person is purports to bind. Since that does not usually arise as there is no dispute over who was living at the address it matters now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if this is a renewal and it's only a years tenancy, even though I have a witness section on the tenancy I don't need to use it. It's a legal document that's fine not to be witnessed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when do you need to have the agreement witnessed? If the tenancy is longer than 3 years? What I I renew the tenancy every year but the tenant has been in the flat for longer than 3 years?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.

You don't really need an agreement to be witnessed.

The only point of it is to pre empt an allegation that it was not signed by the person that it binds.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but as she's living there Then it's not something that can be challenged. Ok thank you I will use the agreement that is signed rather than getting her to sign another one today that I was going to have witnessed. Thank you
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.

I don't think you need to worry about that. There will be no doubt she was the person who signed.

Why would anybody but her have signed this document.?