Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

A neighbour has asked if he can make use of my garden. I

A neighbour has asked if he can make use of my garden. I have not been able to maintain it and I am happy to see someone make use of it. He plans to erect a greenhouse as well as lay new lawn. What is my situation with regards ***** ***** ownership? Do I have to charge rent?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your enquiry. Provided you make it clear that you grant consent to your neighbour to use your garden, he won't acquire any legal rights other than the right to carry on using the garden until such time as you do not want him to do so. From a legal point of view, and to avoid any argument in the future, it would be best for you and him to sign a simple Licence Agreement setting out that he can use your garden, and that this agreement can be terminated by either party at any point in the future. You should ask a local Conveyancing Solicitor to draft this, or you should be able to find a precedent on the internet. You certainly don't have to charge him a Licence fee (same as rent), but you may feel that you deserve some payment- I will leave that for you to decide. On a side point, if you have a Mortgage, you would be in breach of your Mortgage conditions by allowing a third party the right to use your property. I hope this assists you and sets out the legal position. If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer. Kind Regards Al