Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

When buying a property to live in how many names can be on

Customer Question

When buying a property to live in how many names can be on the title deeds?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. The maximum amount of people that can be registered on a title deed is four people. You will also need to consider how the property is to be held - as either joint tenants or tenants in common. Joint tenants will automatically inherit the property upon the death of another owner and their share cannot be passed in a will, whereas tenants in common can be held in specific shares (eg. 25% each for four people) and each person's share can be passed in accordance with their will.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 30 years

Whilst it is true that only four names can be shown at the Land Registry this does NOT mean that only four people can own a property together.

In fact there is no limit to the number of people who can own the property - the four people who are Registered at the Land Registry simply hold it as Trustees for all of them.

A separate Deed of Trust should also be created

Please ask if you need further details

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.